7-26-14 A Book of Fairy Tales?

"That is just a book of fairy tales," a passerby announced to me as he pointed at my Bible while I was studying for my Junior Church lesson in the cafeteria at work a few years ago.

"Really? I haven't come across one fairy in the entire Bible." 

"Well, it just a bunch of fiction written by a bunch of ignorant men."

"It's interesting to me that this "book of fairy tales and fiction" would prompt such a reaction out of you. If I was reading a comic book, a novel, Dr Suess it wouldn't bother you. That's because there is special about it."

"No one can understand it."

"Really, and it was written by ignorant men?  You see, most of it is easy to understand. Can I show you some things from it?"

He actually sat down and let me show him the Gospel.  "You see, the problem isn't what we don't understand, it is what we do understand and don't want to hear."

I find it interesting to watch the reactions of people in a restaurant when a group comes in with Bibles and sits down.  Some will just watch warily, some will move to a different table and some will be supportive. Just the mere presence of the Bible causes reactions.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: