7-27-14 It's Not What You Know, But Who You Know

"Where did you go to college?"

"I didn't."

"Oh, I see.  Sorry, but we need someone with a college degree."

I find it interesting that our society deems a college education as synonymous with intelligence.  Sure, a college education is good to gain a foothold of knowledge in an area, but it doesn't guarantee the individual really knows anything.  On the other hand, someone without a college education may know more about an area of expertise than some college graduates.

That said; I needed to attend college to help me learn things.  I learned a trade (auto body repair) and I learned basics for the ministry. I also know that the degree does not come with a guarantee.

The Jewish scholars marveled at Jesus because He had not been educated in Jewish traditions and teachings or "letters" (the equivalent of a college degree today). Jesus answered that His knowledge was from God.  Being God in the flesh, He is saying that His wisdom is not from His education.

I am not against higher education. It has its place and purpose, but its not proof of anything. When it comes to gaining entrance into heaven, it won't matter where I went to college, but that I know Jesus as my Savior. It won't be what I know, but Who I know. 

"And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned? Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." John 7:15-16.

In case you were wondering, I have an Associates Degree in Auto Body Repair and a BA in Pastoral Theology

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: