7-4-14 My Hero

I am not a brilliant guy, but I never understood how celebrities and sports starts get called heroes.  To me a hero is someone who risked his life for another. Some will live with the consequences of injuries from putting themselves in harm's way. The ultimate hero, then, is the person who would give his life for another. 

I have read stories and seen movies of soldiers that would die so that the others in his unit could live by diving onto a hand grenade. Or, the body guard that would stop a bullet meant for the person he is guarding. Now, those are heroes.

The amazing thing about my hero is that He died for all - even His enemies and those that did not love Him - so that they could live. In other words, Jesus died for me before I realized it.  He went through so much torture and humiliation for me!  Why wouldn't I trust in Him for eternal life? Why would I reject what He did for me? What a hero!

Amazingly enough, I did reject it for years. But, praise God, one day someone told me what Jesus had done for me and I believed it.  I asked God to save my soul.  This was made possible because Jesus loves me enough to pay my sin debt. He is my personal hero!

On this Independence Day, I think of those soldiers - those heroes - that served and are serving this country as well as my Personal Hero. 

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. Rom 5:6-7

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: