8-24-14 The Greatest Challenge

My Greatest Challenge                                                                       8-24-14

The Ice Bucket Challenge has taken off lately.  I have enjoyed watching videos of people get buckets of icy cold water dumped on them in support of raising funds for ALS.  This is a fun way to draw attention to a horrible disease and hopefully find a cure.  There are so many dreadful illnesses and causes to give towards and for which to raise awareness. 

I live with Parkinson’s disease and see the need for a cure.  I praise God for the meds and the treatments available.  PD has made life challenging. 

My greatest challenge, however, is to allow God to use my PD to help people find Jesus.  As great as the need for a cure is, the need for a Savior is greater.  I need for my Comforter and Friend to help me through life with PD than I need a cure. Besides, I will be disease free one day in heaven. A cure, as nice as that would be, still is only temporary.   

The greatest challenge before of me today is to get my eyes off me and allow God to use my PD to introduce other people to Jesus.  My health is not supposed to squelch this challenge, but in fact, be the springboard to do so.  I hope that Christ is magnified through my PD. 

“According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.” Philippians 1:20.

“Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you” II Thessalonians 3:1.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: