8-27-14 Darkness is Creepy

Subtly darkness crept into my day, gradually overtaking it and dominating my domain. Safe within my home, darkness didn’t seem so creepy.  However, I had to go out into it despite my Parkinson’s.

Streetlights held the darkness at bay as I drove down the five-lane street, but as soon as I turned onto a side street the blackness pressed in.  The familiar landmarks disappeared. The trees became the skeletons onto which the darkness clung.  It became more and more oppressive – and creepy.  Should I stop or should I drive on? The road only promised to lead me into more darkness. I kept driving until I eventually, I drove out of the blackness into lights.  With the darkness once again pushed back, I recognized the neighborhood and drove back home.

Jesus is the Light that has driven back the darkness of disease, depression, trials and tribulations. Because of Parkinson’s, at times when that darkness subtly comes creeping, I can find myself disoriented and lost. 

However, God has promised treasures in the darkness. This verse speaks of treasures of gold etc., buried or hidden in dark places where no one can appreciate them.  God has helped me find treasures in Parkinson’s, difficulties of life and even in the dark times.  Finding these treasures have helped me realize God is there helping me.

What treasures? Knowing that God is with me no matter what. Knowing that God can use my life to help others. Knowing that God answers prayer. Knowing that no matter how dark things look, this is not the end.  There are treasures in the darkness – even if darkness is creepy when we are stuck in it.

“And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.” Isaiah 45:3. 
I
© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: