9-3-14 Just Be Nice

A local car dealer likes to insert a little ditty into their advertising.  It goes, “Just be nice.” That is a good motto for dealing with people and increasing sales and it sounds like it would work for a life’s theme.  However, being nice doesn’t mean that I have to agree with everyone – that is an impossibility.  Sometimes they want me to do things that go against my convictions. Such as:

“Can’t you just be inspirational without mentioning God?  Religion is a personal thing and you are going to offend some people.  Just be positive and uplifting, but leave God and Jesus out.  That way you can reach more people.”

“Don’t put the Gospel in your books.  That is going to turn some people off and you won’t be able to encourage as many people.”

Please understand that I using enjoy humor and helping people understand what life is like with a chronic illness, but I cannot leave God out of the picture.  How can my life’s purpose and message be complete without God? I think that I can “just be nice” and still inspire people with God included.  Being positive without the source of that positivity I would be falling short by leaving God out.

Jesus is the greatest help anyone could have.  I cannot leave Him out no matter the popular opinion. Mordecai stuck by his guns despite the popular opinion.

“Then the king's servants, which were in the king's gate, said unto Mordecai, Why transgressest thou the king's commandment? Now it came to pass, when they spake daily unto him, and he hearkened not unto them, that they told Haman, to see whether Mordecai's matters would stand: for he had told them that he was a Jew.” Esther 3:3-4.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: