9-4-14 How Can Doing Right Go So Wrong?

“How can standing up for what is right turn out so wrong?  I was ready to go to jail or to give my life for my convictions, but to instate a law to kill all my people because of my stand? God, why would you allow such a thing? The whole city is confused.  Its future is uncertain.  To kill all the Jews is to bring economic ruin to the kingdom because we are businessmen and workers.  We serve in positions in government.  Nobody understands and many are blaming me,” Mordecai prayed (at least it’s what I imagine he prayed).

Meanwhile, Haman and the king sat down to drink and have a great time, as if no big thing had occurred.  It didn’t bother them a bit that this was unfair to an entire people, as well as bring undo economic hardship to the kingdom.  They didn’t think past their teatime.

I knew a young man that left the Jehovah’s Witnesses, trusted Christ as his Savior and joined the Baptist church in which I was a member.  As a result, he was ostracized by his family – all devout Jehovah’s Witnesses.  He was kicked out of his home, lost his job, friends and family.  He was perplexed and his future uncertain.  He did what was right, but wasn’t prepared for the fallout.

Doing right comes with a price.  It is not always easy. The thing I am learning is that the story is not over.  This marathon called life is not yet complete.  Much can happen yet.  The fallout may be tough and even affect my family, friends, and coworkers.  My future may look uncertain and perplexing, but this is only part of my life’s story. I am learning to trust God when things look bleak. 
  
“The posts went out, being hastened by the king's commandment, and the decree was given in Shushan the palace. And the king and Haman sat down to drink; but the city Shushan was perplexed.” Esther 3:15.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: