9-7-14 It's Not About Me

Esther had the perfect job – just be the Vanna White of the kingdom - look gorgeous and do a little something now and then that really isn’t necessary in the first place.  She lived a sheltered life, safe from the stress of the life of an average citizen under the king’s rule. She had no access to the news of the day and she was doted upon by servants.

Suddenly, however, a tremendous responsibility landed squarely on her.  She had to approach the king with the news of the imminent extermination of the Jews in Shushan.  No one else cared enough to do the job or had the opportunity to do so. Life was no longer about her.

I learned of a family recently that had an unwanted responsibility thrust upon them.  Their four-year-old daughter has a large invasive inoperable spinal tumor.  Suddenly, life changed.  No longer was life revolving around the goals and dreams of the average family.  The daughter has to spend months in a hospital far away from home.  The mother went with her and the father stayed home to work his job and tend to the needs of the other kids.  Life has become wholly about caring for the needs of others.

It is so easy to live life focused on my own desires.  To forget about what others are going through actually is much too common in my life.  I know it helps me spiritually, emotionally and physically to help others – especially when it comes to the greatest help in my life, Jesus. I just need to refocus my desires to what Jesus would have me do each day.  Life is about Jesus and helping others. My purpose is to tell others about Jesus.  It is not about me. “If I perish, I perish” is another way of surrendering my life to God. Romans 12:1 says, “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.”

 “Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.” Esther 4:16.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: