9-8-14 Learning to Listen

“I’m always right.” My wife announced.
“You think so?”
“Well, most of the time.”
“You mean some of the time.”
“Occasionally.”
“Rarely.” Actually, she is right quite often and I can trust here perspective.  Sometimes she is wrong and sometimes we simply do not agree. But I have spent a lot of years learning to listen to her.

Sometimes male pride or the idea of being the leader gets in my way of listening to good advice.  I am learning to listen, then consider the advice given to me and implementing it if it is sound.  I am learning to listen by watching my Pastor as he listens before giving spiritual guidance. I am learning to listen by discovering that my wife is right many times – not always, but many times.  She can see a different perspective and has ideas worth considering.

Mordecai had told Esther about the new law ordering the extermination of the Jews in their kingdom.  She was the only one he could approach that could possibly get an audience with the king.  She understood the gravity of the problem and agreed to seek an uninvited meeting with the king.  This could mean the death penalty if the king desired.  Therefore, she gave Mordecai a commandment – have all the Jews pray and fast about this meeting.  This role reversal meant Mordecai had to swallow his male pride, put aside his leadership ego and do the right thing. 

I am learning that I can learn something from everybody I meet.  Sometimes it’s what not to do, but most of the time I can learn something positive by listening. I have learned many things through the years and one of them is that I am still learning to listen. 

“So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.” Esther 4:17.


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: