9-9-14 Dressed for the Occasion

I enjoy fixing up cars that need body repair.  This often requires a trip an auto salvage yard for parts.  I generally dress in old clothes when I go there because the odds of getting dirty are quite high.  My jeans often have holes in the knees. However, when I have had to stop in to pick up parts in dress slacks and shirt, they treat me like I am an ignoramus and charge me more.  Thus, I now dress for the occasion. I always wear old clothes whenever I go there.

However, I have noticed that by wearing those old work clothes into a nice restaurant brings frowns from the help and draws looks from other customers.  I am not dressed for the occasion.

When I go on a date with my wife, I dress nicely for the occasion.  I don’t mind cleaning up, shaving and dressing nice for her. 

Esther dressed in royal apparel to meet with the king.  She dressed for the occasion. In doing so, she showed respect for him and avoided offending him. She took every effort to please him to gain an audience with him. 

My King deserves my best as well. I dress appropriately when I am going to worship the One who died for me in church.  It’s the least I can do to dress my best for the occasion.

“Now it came to pass on the third day, that Esther put on her royal apparel, and stood in the inner court of the king's house, over against the king's house: and the king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house, over against the gate of the house.  And it was so, when the king saw Esther the queen standing in the court, that she obtained favour in his sight: and the king held out to Esther the golden sceptre that was in his hand. So Esther drew near, and touched the top of the sceptre.” Esther 5:1-2.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: