10-17-14 Armed and Dangerous


“Whatever you do, do not put your hand in the hamster’s cage.” My childhood buddy told me as he gave me his hamster.  “It’s mean.”

He was right.  I had to put on thick leather gloves to handle the little tan and white rodent when I had to clean the cage.  I discovered my free hamster wasn’t really a great deal.  I suspected that my friend hadn’t been so friendly to his hamster. 

One day, as I gave the hamster some food, I noticed that he had escaped and was on the lam.  I could not find him anywhere. I did find some hamster food in one of my shoes.  Thus, it seemed to me that this was a premeditated escape. He was on the loose, armed and dangerous with sharp teeth.

Later, bedtime came and I did not want to spend the night in the same room as a maniacal hamster.  My dad still picks on me for abandoning my room because of a little harmless hamster.  He didn’t know that this hamster might very well have been a serial killer in the making.  Eventually, I captured him and returned him to his proper habitat.

Fear can be a powerful motivator.  Some people respond to the love of God, while others trust Christ as Savior out of fear of hell. Both are legitimate incentives to trust Christ. 

The kingdom that Esther and Mordecai lived in had many different peoples and cultures within its borders – much like America today.  Some of those people responded to the news that the Jews could defend themselves by converting to Judaism.  The Jews were now armed and dangerous.

“And in every province, and in every city, whithersoever the king's commandment and his decree came, the Jews had joy and gladness, a feast and a good day. And many of the people of the land became Jews; for the fear of the Jews fell upon them.” Esther 8:17.


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: