10-18-14 Oh, Contraire My Friend


“You can’t prove God exists.” Challenged a coworker of mine from years back. We enjoyed verbal sparring while working.

 I replied, “Oh contraire my friend.”

He stopped what he was doing, put his hands on his hips and asked, “Are you going to have God hit me with lighting?”

“That would get me in trouble with the boss, the fire department would show up, plus cleaning you off the floor would take too long.  The reality is that you, right now, prove God exists.  The fact that you are alive and breathing proves God exists. Without God there would be no life, there would be no you.”

Since my coworker didn’t like to lose, the verbal sparring kept up for a while. Then, it got quiet while we worked.  He had something to think about.

Many things about God and salvation are contrary to what I originally believed. That doesn’t change the reality of them.  God does exist whether I believe it or not.  God does save through Jesus Christ whether I believe it or not. I am learning to change my thinking to line up with the Bible, not make the Bible line up with my misbeliefs.

There were some in the kingdom that wanted the Jews exterminated and were looking forward to Extermination Day, which Haman had ordered.  They felt they were powerful enough to accomplish this, but reality was contrary to what they believed, as they would soon find out.

“Now in the twelfth month, that is, the month Adar, on the thirteenth day of the same, when the king's commandment and his decree drew near to be put in execution, in the day that the enemies of the Jews hoped to have power over them, (though it was turned to the contrary, that the Jews had rule over them that hated them;)” Esther 9:1.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: