10-20-14 Roots


The first summer we spent in our new house  in an older neighborhood in Sioux Falls was the year the invisibugs attacked me. 

We had been receiving bug bites, yet never saw the offending insects. Nevertheless, I decided to fog backyard ferns and snowball bushes with Black Flag.  I did not see the bugs or feel them retaliate, but I received over seventy bites that lasted for weeks.  It had been a nasty battle.

To eliminate any future sorties by the invisibugs, I decided to remove the suspected invisibug habitat, which proved to be no easy chore.  The snowball bushes had an extensive and stubborn root system.  Failure to remove the roots meant the return of the foliage and the invisibugs. My wife and I dug and pried with a steel rod, then dug and pried some more until we finally cleared the soil of roots.

The same principle was applied by Mordecai and Esther.  If they had let Haman’s boys with their same hateful mindset as their father live, it meant the problem would return.  The public execution and display would deter others from acting upon any such urges.

“And the king commanded it so to be done: and the decree was given at Shushan; and they hanged Haman's ten sons.” Esther 9:14.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: