10-21-14 I Forget


I am good at forgetting. One time I forgot that I remembered. I had been bringing the devotional at Men’s Prayer Breakfast every Tuesday morning.  However, one particular Tuesday morning I went for a walk – my usual practice on other days of the week.  As I was walking, I remembered that had forgotten the Men’s Breakfast, and I bring the devotional!  So, I walked back home, hopped in my pickup and drove to work.  I had forgotten that I remembered!  (For more detail see the title story in my first book, I Forgot That I Remembered).

Reminders are wonderful.  I use sticky notes a lot.  My cellphone has an alarm and a calendar that help me tremendously. Otherwise I would forget to take my meds.  I would forget to keep appointments, etc.  These reminders are not foolproof but they help.  I don’t really need to be reminded of my birthday.  It wouldn’t bother me to forget that one.

Holidays are meant to remember something special, i.e. Easter reminds us of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, while Ground Hog’s Day reminds us of silliness.

It’s interesting that the word “holiday” actually came from the words “holy day.”  The Jews declared a holy day to remember how God preserved them.  They also vowed to honor this holiday as a day to remember it through future generations.  Today the Jews still observe the Feast of Purim on the 14th and 15th days of the 12th month.

“The Jews ordained, and took upon them, and upon their seed, and upon all such as joined themselves unto them, so as it should not fail, that they would keep these two days according to their writing, and according to their appointed time every year; And that these days should be remembered and kept throughout every generation, every family, every province, and every city; and that these days of Purim should not fail from among the Jews, nor the memorial of them perish from their seed.” Esther 9:27-28

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: