11-11-14 My Little Stink Bomb


“What a little stink bomb you are Dickens!” Through the business of our recent move, my dog, Dickens, did not get his weekly bath. He might have missed two. He didn’t seem to care.  In fact, he prefers to stink. He considers bath time an unpleasant event. After his bath he rubs himself all over the carpet trying to remove the fragrance pleasing to his master.

One night he discovered he could reach the garbage (no easy task for a handicapped dog). He found the trash in its temporary box until we get more settled. He helped himself to a Banquet Pot Pie paper bowl. He carried it over to me as if he planned on enjoying it like a bone.  He inadvertently flaunted it in front of his disapproving master.

Despite his faults, I still love Him. His greatest desire is to receive love and affection, as well as please his master.

This reminded me of my relationship with my Master.  Even though I am saved and desire love and affection from God, and even though I want to please my Master, I still sin. In fact, I can find myself inadvertently flaunting my sin before Him. I become a stink bomb in His eyes and must be cleaned up.  I find that an unpleasant event.

Once Dickens is cleaned up and pleasant to be around, our relationship is better.  Despite my faults, God still loves me. Once God cleans me up and our relationship is restored, life is good.  God takes me from His little stink bomb, to a Christian with a sweet fragrance.

“Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.” Psalm 51.7.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: