11-12-14 Dumbfounded Looks



“Why didn’t you guys use the power auger on the tractor?” Everyone laughed at this punch line to my Norwegian aunt’s story about her German husband.  My uncle loved to pick on her with Norwegian jokes – until she had enough, then she would share true stories of his daft moments.

It had been a very hot, dry summer.  The ground had become very hard and difficult to dig.  A couple of my uncles had decided to put in some fence posts on the farm.  They dug and chopped with shovels, picks and whatever to break up the hard ground.  While working through the heat of the day, my aunt had brought them something cold to drink. As the men thanked her and complained of the heat, she asked them why they didn’t use the power auger on the tractor.  Their dumbfounded looks told it all.  To this day, she still uses this story - whenever necessary.

I need to break up the fallow ground – that hardness that forms over time in my heart.  I need to do this daily through prayer and Bible time to keep my heart in condition for God to accomplish His will in His timing. I don’t want to look dumbfounded when He comes and asks me why I didn’t use the tools available for me to use. 

“Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.” Hosea 10:12. 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: