11-14-14 ...And Your Point?


I stopped at an auto parts store yesterday. As I walked up to the counter with my purchase, I overheard a conversation the countermen were having with an extremely annoyed young man that also worked there.  One after the other of the countermen brought up the unprofessional look of his dirty “uniform” complete with a spattering of holes – some over an inch in diameter.  They all agreed that he needed to retire that shirt and get a new one. 

“What’s the point? It will just get dirty and holy again anyway,” the young man complained.

“What’s the point?” One counterman said, emphasizing each word as he repeated the young man’s response. “The point is that the boss will write you up for it.”

“Why?”

“You don’t get it do you? What part of this don’t you understand?”  

“The boss is a @#*%^&~ jerk.”     

“Let me tell you something from a customer’s point of view,” I interjected. “If you don’t care how you look, then you don’t care about your work and you don’t care about the customer. If I was your boss, I would tell you to get a new shirt, get a new attitude or get a new job. In other words, if you worked for me you wouldn’t be working for me.” At that point, he marched off muttering to himself.

Sometimes I don’t see the obvious point that God is trying to make in my life (like the people Jesus was speaking to in the verse noted below).  I can be rather dim at times.  Sometimes, I just don’t want to admit seeing it (like the young man at the parts store). Once it becomes clear, I can no longer say, “…And the point?”

“This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.” John 10:6.


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: