1-10-15 Anxious Apprehension of Adversity!


“Wait until your Father gets home!” my aunt yelled at my cousins and me. I don’t recall what we did, but my cousins said after my uncle got through with them, they would have marks on them.  I didn’t know what was going to happen to me.  My cousins’ prediction came true for them, but my uncle did not punish me.  I knew that he would tell my folks when they came back from vacation in a few days. Their punishment was over, but I experienced the anxious apprehension of adversity when my Dad arrived. I remember watching their arrival from afar, knowing that when they sat down with my aunt and uncle over coffee, my transgressions would be aired.  

My uncle did not punish me because I was not His child.  God does not punish those that are not saved and adopted into His family. Once God, the Father, adopted me into His family He began taking responsibility, if you will.  He now recognizes me as one of His own.  He even disciplines me.  Thus, if I had never received chastisement from Him, I should rethink my claim that He is my Father.  It is not my claim that matters, but His acknowledgment of me. 

“If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.” Hebrews 12:7-8.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: