1-9-15 You're Just Like Your Father


I cringe when my wife says that, because it usually means something negative, like impatience at stop lights or long lines (two or more ahead of me). I suppose I have picked up some of my step-father’s mannerisms, although we think quite differently. After I met my birth father, I realized that I inherited a lot from him; for example, the way I stand with my hands in my front pockets or with arms crossed. I always thought those would be learned mannerisms, but that was not the case. Also, I inherited some of the physical characteristics, too. Exceptionally handsome, for example – oh, and of course and very humble personality.

My birthdad and I went to a store one time and the clerk said, “Man I can sure tell you two are father and son.” He went on to talk about a father/son relationship which we had never had, but we smiled to each other about it. 

Although adopted, I was never like my step-father in a lot of ways.  However, when I was born into the family of God, I received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  Thus, I have a lot of my heavenly Father within me.  My desires have changed.  Oh, I still struggle with the sinful side of me, but I’m not what I was or what I am today without Him.

It is interesting that many times we can recognize who a person’s father is IF we know his/her father.  But without the father as a reference point, we wouldn’t know there was anything unique about a person. The Bible is speaking of the same idea in this verse.  If someone doesn’t know God, they will not recognize Him in our lives. This helps me understand why people can be so critical toward Christians and me personally. 

“Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.” I John 3:1.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: