1-20-15 Wounded Warrior


We hear of the Wounded Warrior Project often these days.  It is a great program to help those that have been injured or ill while serving in the military. These men have to heal and take a break from life.  Some lives will never be the same, yet they deserve our care.

The Apostle Paul call Epaphroditus a fellow soldier.  He had travelled to help Paul, but became ill and almost died. He had given his all in the ministry. He grew frustrated and full of heaviness that he couldn’t continue serving God.  He had to take time to heal.  Paul sent him back to Philippi “more carefully.”  In other words, he was a wounded warrior that had to make some changes to preserve his health.  It seems he stayed in Philippi, once he returned.

I know in my life, Parkinson’s disease has brought big changes.  I no longer pastor a church, but I can serve God in other ways.  I also must live my life “more carefully” so that I don’t worsen my health.  I know others that have heart trouble, diabetes, and many other chronic health issues.  They have had to make changes to live “more carefully.” These changes don’t mean their lives are over, just different.  They can’t do what they used to do, or even what they may want to do, but they are still useful to God.

“For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful.” Philippians 2:27-28.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: