1-29-15 Bi-Polar Christianity


I heard Christians praising God for miracles one day and feeling depressed and abandoned the next. I rolled my eyes at this bi-polar Christianity.  But then I realized that I do this at times. 

I enjoy revival services and preaching conferences.  I have come home from such services all pumped up excited. It felt to me like God had complete control of me. I went up to the altar and prayed during the invitation. At those times, I have confessed my sins to God and vowed to become a better Christian. I was barely able to sleep, I was so excited. Then the next morning arrived. I woke up grumpy and frustrated because I can’t find my phone or glasses.  What happened to that revival?  Bi-polar Christianity again.

The Apostle Paul – super Christian in my book – struggled with the same thing.  He found himself frustrated at his bi-polar Christianity, too.  Paul says in Romans chapter seven that his spirituality is found in Jesus, not the flesh.  The only way to maintain spiritual equilibrium is allowing Jesus to work through me.

I am encouraged that Paul had the same struggles I do and could tell me his solution.  Jesus.


“For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.” Galatians 5:17.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: