6-8-15 Why Don’t You Turn Me Loose?


I can’t say that I ever ran away from home. Maybe it was because I didn’t know where to stay or eat. I just didn’t like the idea of sleeping in a ditch filled with mosquitoes and gnats.  Besides a skunk might come meandering along and consider me a threat.  That could really stink. I didn’t like the idea of living off the land. I just didn’t see any road kill that looked appetizing and didn’t want to go dumpster diving.

The son mentioned in this scripture had money.  He could buy a car and go wherever he wanted. He could enjoy fine dining, not dumpster diving. He had it made – at least it sounded like it when I read this. As with most young men, he felt he knew what he was doing.  He thought working the family business was boring and too restrictive. Even though the father didn’t agree with the son and grieved deeply, he gave him his inheritance and let him go. 

How often have I felt that I knew what I was doing and left my heavenly Father out of my life? How often have I thought my way was the right way? How often have I grieved my heavenly Father?

 “And he said, A certain man had two sons: And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.” Luke 15:11-12.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: