8-17-15 My Toes Hurt


“I play my Christian rock and roll music as loud as I can when I drive around as a witness to others,” a young man told me. As we conversed, I asked him if people could really tell the difference between his music and theirs. “Maybe, it doesn’t work that well, huh?” he concluded.

Another person told me one day, “God doesn’t care what I wear to church. He looks on my heart.”

“Do you suppose your neighbors know you are going to church or to Walmart?” I asked. “God does look on your heart, what do you suppose He sees?”

“You Christians drink, smoke, swear, tell dirty jokes, lie and cheat just like everyone else. What’s the difference?” This guy had a good point.

The application I think God is making to Christians in this passage, is that we have actually corrupted Christianity before the lost people of this world. We have caused many to stumble. Therefore, God made us contemptible and base before all the people. They have no respect for Christians. We, as Christians, have profaned (violating, treating with irreverence, polluting – Webster 1828) the Lord, the Bible, church etc.

Ouch, my toes hurt. This passage steps on my toes. I fuss at the world for not liking Christians. Yet, maybe I am my own problem. Time for a little introspection, methinks.

“But ye are departed out of the way; ye have caused many to stumble at the law; ye have corrupted the covenant of Levi, saith the LORD of hosts. Therefore have I also made you contemptible and base before all the people, according as ye have not kept my ways, but have been partial in the law. Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?” Malachi 2:8-10.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/my-toes-hurt/

No comments: