8-18-15 De-scented Christianity


Last night, I was enjoying my state of unconsciousness when something woke me up. My eyes were burning, my nose was protesting, and I could even taste something nasty in the air. The neighborhood dogs were raising a ruckus. After, I gathered my wits (I only have two of them and they were elusive), I concluded that a skunk had made is displeasure with the dogs known. I jumped up, bounced off the wall and stumbled to the bedroom window and shut it. No amount of Febrez was going to neutralize this stink. It is now midmorning and all the windows are open, yet I can still notice that obnoxious aroma.

In today’s passage, God is letting Judah know that their spirituality stank. He found it repulsive. He would not accept offerings or the motive behind them offering it. Like stink, it affects others. The skunk did not have it out for me personally, yet he ruined my sleep by raising a stink toward the dogs.

Like the skunk, we sometimes think our service to God is wonderful, yet in reality it stinks. I have read testimonies that de-scented skunks are great pets. Similarly, Christians that have begun to stink need to be de-scented, too. The skunk can’t de-scent himself, and the Christian can’t un-stink his spirituality himself. God is the one that can clean us up – myself included.

 “And this have ye done again, covering the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping, and with crying out, insomuch that he regardeth not the offering any more, or receiveth it with good will at your hand.” Malachi 2:13.

God repeated His sentiments in the New Testament, too. “And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” Matthew 7:23.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/de-scented-christianity/

No comments: