11-13-15 Turn Around!


“Ok, you need to turn right right there.” Said my nagivator.

“But its three lanes over and there’s traffic.” I said as we passed by the exit ramp.

“Then I guess you need to turn around the first chance you get.”

Sometimes these times can be stressful times, especially when it takes miles to get turned around without getting turned around. But to continue on only makes the situation worse. Turning off and trying to weave through town doesn’t seem to work well either. The solution that works best is to turn around and pick up where we went wrong.

Life works that way, too. When God convicts my heart to forsake something, I need to turn around and go back to where I went wrong. If I try an alternate route, I just get lost, frustrated and angry. If I continue on, I will just get farther and farther from God.

In Jonah, the king proclaimed a time of praying, fasting and mourning for everyone – even the livestock. Imagine the din rising from Ninevah. What a racket! The animals crying out for something to satisfy their hunger and thirst reminds the people to cry out to God to satisfy their needs. The king also told them to wear sackcloth and even put it on the animals to further illustrate their hearts. He then reminded them to not only mourn, but to repent – to turn around from their evil and violent ways.

“And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water: But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.” Jonah 3:7-8.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/turn-around/

No comments: