Go Ahead, Push the Button


I went to visit someone as pastor and found a doorbell made from a leg hold animal trap. The doorbell was mounted on the trigger mechanism. What do I do? Should I risk pushing the doorbell? I told myself that this was probably a prank, but then… I eyed the trap over carefully. It had a spot weld keeping it from going off…or was it there to fake me out. I took out my comb to push it, but it wouldn’t depress the button. I didn’t seem to have a pen. I looked around for a stick to push the button. Finally, I came up with the perfect solution. I knocked on the door.

The funny things was the doorbell was so tempting. It had grabbed my attention so securely that I couldn’t think of anything else. I know God didn’t mount the doorbell on a trap and I couldn’t say the devil did it either. It was just someone with a warped sense of humor. My thinking was the problem.

My problem now is that it is tempting to make one of these doorbells. I would enjoy watching someone like me dealing with the temptation of pushing the doorbell instead of simply knocking.

I live in a sinful world. Temptation is everywhere. This means I have choices every day. Sometimes self wins and sometimes it doesn’t. It’s up to me. I just need to remember temptation is a trap.

“Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.” James 1:13-14.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/12/17/go-ahead-push-the-button/

No comments: