1-18-16 Hey, You Got It Backwards


I read a biography of a famous person who had become very cynical about religious people. He felt the only reason someone wanted him to convert was for bragging rights – not that they cared for him. The sad thing is that he was right. Our human nature wants to crow about leading someone to Christ or that a certain well-known person attends our church.

I wonder how I would act if one of the presidential candidates that I like came to my church next Sunday. I’m sure I would welcome him/her and help him/her find a good seat for worship service. The question in my heart this morning is whether I would do the same to someone who was clearly nobody.

James reminds me in this passage that if that presidential candidate got into office, he/she would very likely forget about me and make laws that would affect me negatively at some point. He/she would have that power. It had never entered my mind that this is blasphemy (the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God), but since it is contrary to Christ-like behavior I can see now that it is.

We can give of ourselves by favoring those in need. God gave Jesus on the cross for all mankind – very needy people indeed. Love is giving and we can give toward those that cannot do anything in return. Isn’t that what Jesus did?  
It’s easy to get things backwards isn’t it?

“But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats? Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?” James 2:6-7.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/hey-you-got-it-backwards/

No comments: