1-29-16 I’ll Pray Fer Ya


“Good morning, how are you?” I know the person doesn’t really want to know, so I use a response scale that another Christian told me he uses (Very well, thank you. Good. Ok. Not so good). This way I don’t have to lie. I can say how I am and the other person can respond with another platitude.

Sometimes a person will press me for more and I tell him/her honestly. The usual response is, “I’ll pray fer ya.” I don’t know anyone that does not appreciate someone praying for him/her, but too often it is said without sincerity. No prayers are ever offered.

I am sure glad that I never do that. If you believe that I have a swamp I want to sell you. Seriously, I know I say hollow stale things to others, too. So I cannot complain.

James is bringing up just this kind of thing. He is saying that if you see a need and can help out, do so. Don’t say something trite like, “I’ll be praying fer ya.”

The point today is to be sincere in words as well as actions.

“If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?” James 2:15-16.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff

 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2016/01/29/ill-pray-fer-ya/

No comments: